I initially started making treats for my dog when he got diagnosed with food allergies. There are some pretty icky things in most conventional dog treats that are unhealthy & can cause allergic reactions.
- by-product meal
- artificial colors
- artificial flavors
- toxic chemicals like propylene glycol , BHT & BHA
- Whole ground corn- a grain that is hard for dogs to digest & an allergen
Making my own dog treats allows me to avoid ingredients like the ones I mentioned above. I also like that by making my own I can use ingredients I already have. My dog, Trooper, is like my best friend and my child all rolled up in one. I want the best nutrition for him so that he will be around as long as possible!
I was inspired to make this recipe when I found my self with a surplus of carrots. I call these treats Woofapawtamus Bars.
2 cups whole wheat organic flour
1/2 cup water
1 cup organic carrots
1/2 cup organic yogurt
1 tbsp organic flax-seed powder
1 tbsp cinnamon
This recipe makes about 50 treats when using a small cookie cutter.
1. Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Chop carrots or process in a food processor
3. Combine carrots, water, & yogurt in a bowl & mix together
4. In another bowl combine flour, flax-seed powder & cinnamon. Mix thoroughly.
5. Add dry ingredients to wet, this should form a soft dough. Add small amounts of water if too dry. Add small amount of flour if too sticky. Knead dough for about a minute.
6. Roll out dough on floured surface or parchment paper.
7. Cut out cookies using cookie cutters. I found my dog bone shaped cookie cutters at Petsmart. They are from the Martha Stewart collection. The ones I have, were sold in a set of three with small, medium & large sizes. For this recipe I used the small cookie cutter.
8. Place biscuits on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper
9. Bake for about 25-30 minutes (biscuit should be hard on bottom). Flip biscuits and bake another 25-30 minutes or until both sides are hard.
10. Let biscuits cool
11. Share with your dog!